Friday, November 11, 2011

The Help

The chapters in this book are written from the perspective of either Skeeter, Aibileen, or Minnie. Aibileen and Minnie each write in the voice that they would have spoken in. Grammar is incorrect and accents are included, but it's actually much easier to follow and to read than I originally expected. I enjoy being able to hear their voices while reading. The southern accents included throughout the book remind me of my family and I've often caught myself laughing because they use some of the same sayings as my family.

I was reading this on my trip to Arizona and people on three of my four flights made comments about the book. Everyone had good things to say about it and I loved having something to talk about instead of awkwardly sitting next to a stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment